If this venue is missing details or has changed operations, let us know and we will
investigate and update the listing.
Please include any website links supporting the requested changes
Opening in late 1924, the Astor Theatre was one of many in the district, but after a complete remodelling in 1937,. the theatre boasted a seating capacity of 914. The Astor enjoyed its heyday during the 1930s & 1940s, however the advent of the drive-in theatre in the 1950s spelled the end for the popular indoor theatre and it closed in the late 1960s.
The disused theatre came with the Mildura Grand Hotel when the hotel was acquired by Don Carrazza and his family in 1989. For a long time the former theatre was used as a laundry, car park, and a workshop, with some of the front shops leased, but Mr Carrazza always felt it would be a shame to destroy the building.